Forest Service Closures halt rafting trips on the
Middle Fork American River
Commercial rafting outfitters who hold permits on the Middle Fork American River were handed amazing and and then crippling news to follow.
We were first informed by PCWA (Placer County Water Agency) that they would be releasing raftable flows from the Oxbow dam 7 days a week starting Monday August 23rd. Since the 2021 season started mid-May, we have been limited to 4 days a week of running trips, with a release of water on Wednesdays & Fridays-Sundays. We were excited to get more days of rafting and possibly some more of our favorite 2 day wilderness trips in before the season ended.
Later that same day the Forest Service announced closures of many National Forest systems including Tahoe National Forest. Outfitters and State Parks worked on getting an exemption for us to use the road to access the put in for the Middle Fork American River – unfortunately the exemption was denied.
We are unable to run our Class 4 rafting trips on the Middle Fork American River. Both the 1 day and 2 day trips are highly sough after trip, especially on Holiday Weekends, when folks want to get out and have fun. The closure means no Middle Fork American River trips for Labor Day Weekend.
We will still be running trips on other sections of the American River near Sacramento (Class 2 and 3+ with day trips and overnight adventure options), Upper Klamath near Medford, Oregon, and the Wild n Scenic Deschutes in Maupin, Oregon.
Other trips still available:
Class 2 Day Trips on the
Lower Middle Fork American &
South Fork American Lotus Run
- The best rafting trips for kids ages 4+! These trips are mellow and suitable for younger kids. They are a great introduction to river rafting and white water.
- Overnight Camping & Glamping available as an add on at our South Fork American River Campground in Lotus, CA.
Class 3 Day Trips on the
South Fork American River
- Full day and half day trips are running everyday (except Tuesdays and Wednesdays) until Labor Day weekend.
- Overnight Camping & Glamping available as an add on at our campground/meeting location in Lotus, CA.
2 day trips also available!
Class 4 / 1 Day
Upper Klamath River
- Offered on specific weekends/dates.
- Get it now before the dams come down!
- Meeting in Weed, CA