Middle Fork American River Rafting | Class III/IV California White Water Rafting
For adventurous first-time & experienced rafters
Meeting in Auburn, California, One Hour East Of Sacramento / One Hour West of Lake Tahoe
Our Middle Fork American River rafting trips are a great choice for those individuals and groups who wish to experience the adventure of a remote wilderness river trip and enjoy the challenge of many exciting whitewater rapids. An adventuresome first-time rafter in good physical condition, as well as the more experienced intermediate rafter will love the Middle Fork. Isolated from civilization in the Auburn State Recreation Area, this dam controlled river offers spectacular scenery, crystal clear water, great rapids, excellent fishing, and the possibility of a side hike up a picturesque creek to a waterfall. Middle Fork American River rafting trips feature rapids that range from Class II to Class V. Overall we rate this river as an adventuresome Class III/IV experience with one Class V rapid – the famous Tunnel Chute. Here the river drops through a narrow, churning whitewater chute leading down to a flat water tunnel through a narrow ridge blasted by miners in the 1850s. The result is an exciting, roller coaster ride, adrenaline rush rapid. We stop to scout this rapid first; walking around the Tunnel Chute is always an option. The thrill of the Tunnel Chute sets up the rest of our Middle Fork trip to be fully savored and enjoyed. Class II, III, and IV rapids follow, as well as a portage around a waterfall/boulder garden. There are also several long, lazy calm stretches where paddling is necessary as the current slows, and we enjoy the serenity and beauty of a remote river canyon.
- 2 day wilderness rafting trip on the Middle Fork American River
- Includes 2 nights camping – arrive the night before at our South Fork American River Campground, night 2 in the wilderness
- We will provide 5 delicious meals starting with breakfast on day 1
- Explore the creeks and waterfalls hidden in the canyon
- Ages 14+
- Great for adult & youth groups!
- Start with a short but challenging Class 4/4+ run on day 1
- Day 2 on the Class 4 longer, but more forgiving Middle Fork American River
- Includes 2 nights camping & 5 delicious meals starting with breakfast on day 1
- Ages 14+
- Rare Spring opportunity when both rivers are available!